There's always something fun going on at our practice!
Contests, prizes, and new smiles! — We invite you to visit our practice and find out what's new this month!
Attention all active patients!!
Need a sponsorship for your club or team??
Contact our office for more info.
HELLO OCTOBER! –October: Hello October! We are excited to see you again! Did you know that October’s birthday flower is the vibrant Marigold? They come in a range of colors including white, gold and yellow; however, probably the most popular is bright orange, matching the fall foliage. Have a colorful October!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO PATIENTS:
Happy Birthday Facebook Friends! Which of these celebrities celebrating in October do you think has the best smile: Bruno Mars (Singer), Katy Perry (Singer), or Zac Efron(Actor)?
TUESDAY – October 3
NATIONAL ORTHODONTIC HEALTH MONTH
National Orthodontic Health Month: It’s our month to celebrate! The month of October is National Orthodontic Health Month. We feel very blessed to work in this wonderful profession and we send a special thank you to all the patients we have had the opportunity to make “SMILE” since we’ve been in business. Please help us celebrate by telling your friends or family who could benefit from orthodontic treatment to come in for an evaluation, and be sure they tell us that you sent them. Happy NOHM!
WEDNESDAY – October 4
NATIONAL DENTAL HYGIENE MONTH – October
National Dental Hygiene Month: In addition to being National Orthodontic Health Month, October is also National Dental Hygiene Month. So much to smile about this month! Good oral hygiene is even more important when you are in braces. Be sure to see your Dentist for regular hygiene appointments throughout your treatment.
Did You Smile Today: We sure hope you did!
WHAT WOULD YOUR HYGIENEST SAY:
What Would Your Hygienist Say: Let’s see if you’ve been paying attention to your Hygienist. Would she say, “I’ll see you in 6 months”, or “Come back in a year”? Six months of course! Having routine cleanings every six months helps to promote good oral health and a beautiful smile.
THURSDAY – October 5
BREAST CANCER AWARENESS MONTH –
Breast Cancer Awareness Month: Go pink this month for Breast Cancer Awareness. We support the efforts of all those involved in research and prevention. Wear pink this month as much as possible to help bring awareness to this important cause. We are BRACED FOR A CURE!
FRIDAY – October 6
NATIONAL PIZZA MONTH - October
National Pizza Month: October is also National Pizza Month! Who doesn’t love pizza? Happy National Pizza Month!
WORLD SMILE DAY
World Smile Day: Today is World Smile Day! Smiles really do make the world go round!
Since October is National Pizza Month and some patients find it difficult to eat pizza with their braces, why not have it as a soup!
Ingredients: (Adjust these to any toppings you normally like on pizza)
- 1 lb. Italian pork sausage
- 1/2 cup onion chopped
- 1/2 cup green pepper chopped
- 4 cups water
- 2 - 15 oz. jars or cans pizza sauce
- 1 - 6 oz. package pepperoni chopped
- 2 tomatoes diced
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
- salt and pepper to taste
- Garnish: shredded mozzarella cheese
- In a large pot, over medium heat, brown and crumble sausage along with chopped green pepper and onion. Season the meat with a little salt and pepper too.
- Once browned, drain any excess grease.
- Add in both jars (cans) of pizza sauce and water then stir.
- Add in spices, seasonings and sugar (Italian seasoning, garlic powder, basil, rosemary, salt & pepper).
- Stir in pepperoni and chopped tomatoes.
- Bring to a gentle boil, then reduce to low and allow it to simmer for just about 10 minutes.
- Then serve.
- Garnish with some shredded mozzarella cheese and croutons.
MONDAY – October 9
COLUMBUS DAY: Happy Columbus Day! Traveling on the Nina, Pinta, and Santa Maria, Christopher Columbus and his crew traveled from Spain to see if the world was flat and to discover new worlds. They did - America was found! Thank you, Christopher Columbus!
NATIONAL SCHOOL LUNCH WEEK
National School Lunch Week:
This is National School Lunch Week! We’re curious about our patients … which do you do?
TUESDAY – October 10
ADOPT A SHELTER DOG MONTH – October
Adopt a Shelter Dog Month: October is Adopt-A-Shelter-Dog Month and there are more dogs in need than ever! Our local shelter is the perfect place to find dogs of every type, size, age and personality — all waiting for a loving home. Be a hero to a pup this month, you’ll have a friend for life!
DENTAL FACT: It's good to be thorough, but brushing too hard can do more harm than good. Excessive or high-pressure brushing can irritate the gums and erode the enamel, potentially leading to increased sensitivity and even cavities. The solution? Try to be a bit gentler on your teeth when you brush, and look for a soft-bristled toothbrush approved by the ADA (American Dental Association).
GIGGLES: She Thinks She’s a Dentist.
Pets are so patient!
WEDNESDAY – October 11
RANDOM FACT OF THE DAY Random Fact - Skittles
We usually tell you to be above average, but not so much this time. All that sugar is bad for your health and your teeth – eat less of it!
THURSDAY – October 12
NOHM INFO: – Are You Smarter Than Your Orthodontist:
As we continue to celebrate National Orthodontic Health Month throughout October, we thought we should share a little orthodontic trivia. What do you think makes the wires help straighten your teeth? It’s you! That’s right, the wires we use in today’s braces are activated by body heat and were originally developed by NASA to use in the space program!
FRIDAY – October 13
WORLD EGG DAY: World Egg Day:
Today is World Egg Day! Eggs are delicious and add important protein as well as various other nutrients to our diets. Having an egg today is eggsactly what you should do to celebrate!
What’s better on a Friday night than pizza? Just a little reminder to our patients in braces during National Pizza Month: Biting into a thick and/or crispy pizza crust can break a bracket. Be sure to cut your pizza into bitesize pieces instead. And enjoy your pizza!
GIGGLES: Friday the 13th:
HAPPY FRIDAY THE 13TH!
MONDAY – October 16
DENTAL FACT– Braces Are Coming Off:
We realize that most of our patients get more excited about their braces coming off than they do about them going on! Here are a few ways to help make sure your braces come off when promised:
- Make all your appointments.
- Wear any appliances or rubber bands as prescribed.
- Have excellent oral hygiene.
- Bring cookies to the staff – JUST KIDDING!
TUESDAY – October 17
NATIONAL ORTHODONTIC HEALTH MONTH
National Orthodontic Health Month: As we continue to celebrate National Orthodontic Health Month, we want to say how blessed we feel to work in such a wonderful profession. Who else can say they make people SMILE all day!
DENTAL RELATED: Teeth, Hair or Eyes
Which do you feel is more important to a person’s appearance – Teeth, Hair or Eyes? A study done in 2013 showed that 83% of the people felt it was TEETH! Of course, we agree!
WEDNESDAY – October 18
DENTAL HEALTH: As we celebrate National Orthodontic Health Month, we want to remind you that orthodontic treatment is not just for kids! Adults are seeking orthodontic treatment for a variety of reasons. Some people want to improve their smiles or correct their bites. Other people are seeking to improve their health or to boost their self-esteem. Whatever your reason, call us for an evaluation to see how traditional braces, clear braces or Invisalign can work for you!
QUOTE OF THE DAY
Catch a Smile”
Smiling is contagious; you catch it like the flu.
When someone smiled at me today, I started smiling too.
I passed around the corner, and someone saw my grin.
When he smiled I realized, I'd passed it on to him.
I thought about that smile, then I realized its worth,
A single smile, just like mine, could travel round the earth.
So if you feel a smile begin, don't leave it undetected.
Let's start an epidemic quick and get the world infected!!!
- Author unknown
THURSDAY – October 19
WORD SCRAMBLE: Scrambled Words – Orthodontic Things:
Who will be the first to guess this scrambled word puzzle? Remember that October is National Orthodontic Health Month!
GO AHEAD - TALK ABOUT US
“Talk About Us”
The greatest compliment a patient can pay us is to refer their family and friends to our practice. We thank you for talking about us, and we promise to treat your referrals with the best of care just as we do you! Share if you would like to refer a friend to our practice!
FRIDAY – October 20
Recipe – Pumpkin-Swirl Cheesecake
Did you know that tomorrow is National Pumpkin Cheesecake Day? Here’s a great recipe from the famous Martha Stewart that you might want to try to celebrate: Pumpkin Swirl Cheesecake
- 8 graham cracker sheets (5 ounces), finely ground (1 cup)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 pounds cream cheese, room temperature (four 8-ounce bars)
- 1 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup solid-pack pumpkin puree
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- Crust: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan with a parchment round.
- Stir together graham cracker crumbs, melted butter, and sugar in a medium bowl. Press crumb mixture firmly onto bottom of pan. Bake until set, about 10 minutes. Transfer pan to wire rack to cool completely.
- Filling: Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees. Wrap exterior of 9-inch springform pan containing crust with a double layer of foil. Set a kettle of water to a boil. With an electric mixer on medium speed, beat cream cheese until fluffy and smooth, about 3 minutes. Reduce to low speed; add sugar in a slow, steady stream. Add salt and vanilla; beat until well combined. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating after each until just combined (do not overmix). Pour three-quarters of the cream cheese filling over crust.
- Transfer remaining one-quarter cream cheese filling to a bowl; add pumpkin puree, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Drop 1/4-cup dollops of pumpkin mixture over top of cream cheese filling. With a wooden skewer or toothpick, swirl into filling.
- Set springform pan inside a large, shallow roasting pan. Carefully pour boiling water into roasting pan to reach halfway up side of springform pan. Bake until cake is set but still slightly wobbly in center, about 75 minutes.
- Transfer springform pan to a wire rack and remove foil; let cool completely. Refrigerate, uncovered, at least 24 hours. Run a knife around edge of cake to loosen before unmolding.
MONDAY – October 23
RANDOM FACT OF THE DAY: Random Fact - Snails:
FYI – sorry but we do not offer orthodontic services to mouths containing 25,000 teeth!
Never underestimate the importance of the final phase of orthodontic treatment – retention! Teeth have memories; they can and will move after braces are removed without proper retainer use. Once your orthodontic treatment comes to an end, we’ll give you the retainers and instructions to help your beautiful new smile last a lifetime!
TUESDAY – October 24
“Children Need Exam at Age 7”
As we celebrate National Orthodontic Health Month, here’s an important reminder about the magical age of 7! Most children will have all their 6-year molars and at least four of their permanent anterior teeth when they turn 7. By monitoring a child's growth and development, we can spot subtle problems with jaw growth and emerging teeth while baby teeth are present.
BRAIN TEASER: – Find the Three 9’s:
How quick are your eyes? Don’t start this until you have a timer ready. Tell us how quickly you find all three 9’s in this sea of 8’s!
WEDNESDAY – October 25
WORLD PASTA DAY
World Pasta Day:
It’s true – pasta is one of the world's most favorite foods. That’s why we’re celebrating World Pasta Day! Spaghetti, lasagna, rotini, tortellini - there are over 600 known pasta shapes.
It's delicious, it's nutritious, it's versatile. And, let’s not forget, that it’s easy to eat with braces!
THURSDAY – October 26
I hope you will put a clinical staff member in charge of posting a clinical tip at least once each month (once a week would be great). Here is a tip that you can use during October with this “Wire Talk - Halloween” jpeg:
Halloween can be a SCARY night for your braces! Please remember your wires before you start digging into those Trick or Treat bags. Take a few minutes to refresh your mind as to what you can and can’t eat when in orthodontic treatment. Here are a few treats that should “not scare” your braces, so enjoy: Plain M&Ms, Soft Cookies, Marshmallows, 3 Musketeers Bars, Peppermint Patties, Reese’s and anything else with a soft texture that is not hard or sticky.
Avoid the treats that can play tricks on your braces like these: Caramel, Taffy, Popcorn, Hard Nuts (anything with nuts), Hard Pretzels, Skittle-Type Candies and anything else that is hard, sticky or chewy. When in doubt, ask Mom to help you sort your candy into good vs. evil! And whatever you do, PLEASE brush and floss after you devour those goodies!
Laugh Yourself Skinny:
We’re all about smiles and laughter at our practice anyway, but here’s an even better reason to giggle! Scientists at Vanderbilt University found that laughing can stoke your calorie burn by up to 20 percent. So, let’s all have a healthy dinner and add a little laughter for desert!
FRIDAY – October 27
NATIONAL CHOCOLATE DAY: National Chocolate Day:
Saturday is National Chocolate Day! While there are many specific chocolate related holidays throughout the year, National Chocolate Day celebrates all things chocolate. So, whether you like chocolate milk, chocolate cake or chocolate candy, today is the day that you get to celebrate chocolate by enjoying your favorite treat! Check out Lucy and Ethel having a little chocolate fun! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnbNcQlzV-4
NATIONAL CAT DAY
National Cat Day:
Take the day off pups, Sunday is National Cat Day! If you already have a kitty in your life, post their picture here on our page, so we can all see how fabulous they are! And, if there is room for a purrrrfect pet, consider adopting a cat from a local shelter. Happy National Cat Day!
MONDAY – October 30
WORD SCRAMBLE: Halloween Things:
Who will be the first to guess this scrambled word puzzle?
TUESDAY – October 31
HAPPY HALLOWEEN – October 31st
Happy Halloween: Have a fun and safe Halloween tonight:
- Wear costumes that are bright and reflective. Make sure that shoes fit well and that costumes are short enough to prevent tripping, entanglement or contact with flame.
- Walk, slither, and sneak on sidewalks, not in the street, and don’t hide or cross between parked cars.
- Look both ways before crossing the street to check for cars, trucks, and low-flying brooms.
- Wear light-colored or reflective-type clothing so you are more visible, and remember to put reflective tape on bikes, skateboards, and brooms too!
- Plan your route and share it with your family. If possible, have an adult go with you.
- Carry a flashlight to light your way.
- Keep away from open fires and candles. Costumes can be extremely flammable.
- Visit homes that have the porch light on.
- Accept your treats at the door and never go into a stranger's house.
- Be cautious of animals, strangers and goblins!
- Have a grown-up inspect your treats before eating, and don’t eat candy if the package is already opened. Remember that small, hard pieces of candy are a choking hazard for young children.
- Know your home phone number and how to call 9-1-1 if you have an emergency or become lost.
- Review the principle of "Stop-Drop-Roll", should costumes catch on fire.
- Take extra effort to eliminate tripping hazards on your porch and walkway.
- Brush and floss after enjoying your Halloween treats!