There’s always something fun going on at our practice!
Contests, prizes, and new smiles! — We invite you to visit our practice and find out what's new this month!
- One TICKET for being on time for appointments
- One TICKET for not having anything loose or broken/bent
- One TICKET for appointment during school hours of 10-2
- One TICKET for satisfactory brushing
- Two TICKETS for excellent brushing
- Five TICKETS for referring a friend!
- Five TICKETS for not having a loose, broken, or bent appliance in a year.
- Five TICKETS for not having any broken or cancelled appointments in one year.
Please pick up your tickets at the front desk on your way out, thank you.
Drawing will take place once a month: five lucky patients will have the opportunity to win a gift card from our prize menu!!
Good luck and happy brushing!!
Have you checked out our Facebook and Instagram page? Visit our Facebook page at Simply Sensational Smiles and Instagram at Lkingortho and find out what the code word is for a chance to win a cool prize. Like us or tag us on Facebook or instagram for a chance to be entered into the grand prize drawing. Good luck and happy tagging. You’re It!!
THURSDAY – August 1
NATIONAL GIRLFRIENDS DAY
Who are your best girlfriends? Those girls that make you laugh and giggle, and that seem more like a sister than a friend. Share our post with your best girlfriends, so they know you’re thinking of them today. Even better, post a picture below of you and your best friend, then tag them!
August is a great month to celebrate a birthday! It is said that people born in August have friendly faces and they are sure to bring a smile to your face and happiness to your heart. Wishing all our patients, friends and family members born in August a fantastic birthday. We’re going to celebrate you all month long!
FRIDAY –August 2
How Do Braces Affect Sensitivity?
Whether your treatment plan includes traditional metal braces, clear braces, or Invisalign, braces work by slowly shifting the position of your teeth by small increments over time. When you have an adjustment appointment (or start on a new set of Invisalign aligners), you may experience some sensitivity. Be sure to be proactive and take an over the counter pain reliever before your next appointment! The sensitivity should diminish in a day or two. If not, give us a call!
Who will be the first to answer this Rebus Puzzle? Hint: Do the math!
MONDAY – August 5
Don’t we all need to hear a little something GOOD every day? Tell us something GOOD that you did, saw, heard or read today. Make our day!
Monday – another chance to have your best week ever!
TUESDAY – August 6
NATIONAL EYE EXAM MONTH
Did you know that 5% - 10% of preschoolers and 25% of school-aged children have vision problems? Be sure to make an appointment this month to get your eyes examined. We want you to be able to see your beautiful smile when you look in the mirror!
What do you think is the number one answer?
WEDNESDAY – August 7
FAMILY FUN MONTH
What will your family do special or different in the month of August? It could be as simple as ordering pizza every Friday night or some amazing trip. Tell us below!
A smile is universal!
THURSDAY – August 8
With or without braces, chewing your pencil or erasers is a bad habit. It puts unnecessary stress on your teeth and could lead to a tooth chip or fracture. Chewing on foreign objects may also introduce potentially-dangerous bacteria into the mouth. This habit may also injure the gums and other soft tissues in the mouth, causing them to become swollen. And if you are in braces, it can break your brackets! Try not to chew anything but your food, but if you have the urge to chew, choose sugarless gum instead of your pencil!
STUDY TIP #1
Students, we want you to do your best and have a great school year. We’re going to share a few study tips with you this month to help. This first one is all about your study environment!
Sit Up and Turn the Lights On: being too comfortable will cause you to want to sleep, so sit up straight at a desk to help you stay focused. Avoid studying in a comfy chair/bed, no matter how much they're calling your name. Rather than studying by a dim lamp, turn on brighter lights to help increase alertness.
- Move Around: when drowsiness does hit during studying take a break to move around. Take a walk to grab a snack or do some jumping jacks.
- Eat Healthy Snacks: when stress kicks in we're tempted to grab a candy bar but resist the temptation. Eating snacks with high sugar will give you a quick energy boost but is followed by a crash. Instead try eating healthier snacks such as yogurt or an apple (cut into small bite-size pieces) that will give you an energy boost for a long study session.
- Cool Things Off: keep your room as cool as possible.
- Drink Water: drink fluids (other than coffee) to prevent dehydration and fatigue.
- Change Subjects: studying one subject for too long can get boring. Switch topics every hour to keep your mind stimulated.
FRIDAY – August 9
BOOK LOVERS DAY
Grab a book and find a quiet place because today is Book Lovers Day! Ok, if you must, you can grab your tablet instead. Just get lost in a great book and enjoy Book Lovers Day!
How can you add eight 8’s to get the number 1,000 (only using addition)?
MONDAY– August 12
MIDDLE CHILD DAY
Are you a middle child? If so, give us a shout out here so we can celebrate you!
TUESDAY – August 13
LEFT HANDER’S DAY
“Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.” Today is Left Hander’s Day! Did you know that only 10% of the population is left-handed? Are you one?
It’s true, the only thing dogs love to chew more than bones and shoes are retainers. Be sure to keep yours in the case and high enough that Rover can’t reach it!
WEDNESDAY – August 14
We hope you smile 400 times today too! https://www.facebook.com/PICKASMILEdotcom/videos/491810280998650/
Back-to-School with Braces! Many of our patients got their braces on during summer break and are going back-to-school with more than just new books – new braces as well!
We suggest that you put together a “back-to-school braces bag” to keep in your backpack throughout the school year. It should include floss, toothbrush, toothpaste, a proxy brush, rubber bands if you are being asked to wear them, and wax. Be sure to check your supplies at home once a week to see if you need to replenish anything. Ask our staff if you need a reminder on how to use any of these items.
Also, remember that your school nurse is a wonderful resource should you need Ibuprofen or some other medication for any minor discomfort you may feel after an adjustment.
THURSDAY – August 15
Don’t let your smiles go to waste, share them today!
WOW! How perfect is this for a summer dessert? Why not make it this weekend!
- 1 pouch of Betty Crocker Sugar Cookie Mix OR 1 pre-made pie crust.
- 1 3/4 cups powder sugar
- 2 8oz. boxes of cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream + 1 cup for the topping
- 1 3oz. box of orange flavored Jello
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 orange, zested
- 1/4 tsp + 1/2 tsp for the topping of vanilla extract
- 1 disposable piping bag with star tip
If Doing the Cookie Crust:
- Preheat oven to 350F & spray the inside of an 8-inch springform cheesecake pan with baking spray, then follow the directions on the cookie mix until you have the cookie batter.
- Take the batter and press it down into the prepared pan as you would a regular crust, then bake for roughly 10-12 minutes until the cookie crust is lightly browned.
- Remove and set aside.
If Using a Pre-Made Crust Begin Here:
- In a large mixing bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth.
- Mix in the 3/4 cup powder sugar.
- In a medium bowl, combine the Jello with the boiling water and whisk until completely dissolved. Set aside.
- Zest the orange and set aside.
- Using a standing mixer, whip on medium speed the heavy whipping cream, 1/2 cup powder sugar and vanilla until stiff peaks form.
- Add 1/2 of the whipped cream into the cooled Jello and whisk until combined.
- Fold the remaining whipped cream in with the cream cheese mixture.
- Spread 1/2 of the cream cheese mixture onto the crust.
- Spread about 2 cups of the orange mixture onto the cream cheese mixture.
- Slowly and carefully spread the remaining of the cream cheese mixture.
- Place into the fridge to set over night.
- Using a standing mixture, whip together the 1 cup heavy whipping cream, 1/2 cup powder sugar and 1/2 tsp vanilla extract until stiff peaks form.
- Scoop into the piping bag and pipe small dollops around the edge of the pie.
- Cut out a slice and enjoy!
Recipe from www.imjustsayin.com
MONDAY – August 19
NATIONAL POTATO DAY
Happy National Potato Day! How do you like your potatoes - mashed, fried, baked? There really isn’t a bad way to eat a potato, so eat some today!
Which best describes how you feel/felt on the first day back to school?
TUESDAY – August 20
STUDY TIP #2
Students, here is another little study tip to help you make the most of this new school year:
Studying hard for 30-50 minutes at a time with 10-minute breaks in between is believed to be the most effective way of studying. We suggest you set an alarm on your phone to remember to take your important breaks!
WEDNESDAY - August 21
SENIOR CITIZENS DAY
Be sure to tell all those special senior citizens in your life that you appreciate them today! BTW, just so you don’t get yourself in trouble, in the U.S. a senior citizen is defined as being 65 or older!
It’s true! Google it if you don’t believe us!
THURSDAY – August 22
NATIONAL TOOTH FAIRY DAY
Today is National Tooth Fairy Day! Or, is it? Some argue it is to be celebrated in February. So, we choose to celebrate it twice each year! Wouldn’t it be great to find money under your pillow in the morning!
Make it a great Thursday by using your smile!
FRIDAY – August 23
Is your hygiene in the correct order? Here’s what we suggest:
- Floss or use a Waterpik to completely clean between teeth. If you use a tongue cleaner, use it now.
- Brush your teeth with a low-abrasive, fluoride toothpaste.
- Rinse for 30 seconds to 1 minute with a fluoride containing mouthwash.
MONDAY – August 26
NATIONAL DOG DAY
National Dog Day celebrates all breeds, pure and mixed, and serves to help the public recognize the number of dogs that need to be rescued each yea. We’d love to see a picture of your pup, and if they are a rescue be sure to tell us how you found each other!
The average person only brushes for 45 to 70 seconds a day, the recommended amount of time is 2-3 minutes. Don’t be average – brush more!
TUESDAY – August 27
We think all our patients should be wearing crowns!
JUST BECAUSE DAY
We all spend our days doing that are expected or required of us. Well, on National Just Because Day, that does not apply. This day is a chance to do something without rhyme or reason. We’d love to hear what you did to celebrate below
WEDNESDAY – August 28
Bad breath is embarrassing and can be a consequence of having braces. Bacteria in the mouth that actually cause bad breath have much more to cling to with braces in there, but don’t worry it can easily be avoided! It is very important to brush your teeth at least two or three times a day. In addition to brushing your teeth, be sure to also brush your gums, the roof of your mouth and your tongue especially well. These spots are often breeding grounds for bacteria and bad breath, so be sure to pay close attention to those areas when brushing. You can also use anti-bacterial mouthwash products to help eliminate the bacteria that lead to bad breath. If you are doing all of this and still experience bad breath issues, consider using a waterpick. Finally, although braces wearers need to avoid gum and sticky snacks, you can still enjoy breath mints and other mouth fresheners to help keep your breath fresh throughout the day. As long as you increase your hygiene and fight the bad breath at the source – namely, the bacteria – you can improve your breath and your overall oral health, and keep your friends!
GO AHEAD - TALK ABOUT US
The greatest compliment a patient can pay us is to refer their family and friends to our practice. We thank you for talking about us, and we promise to treat your referrals with the best of care just as we do you! Share if you would like to refer a friend to our practice!
THURSDAY – August 29
STUDY TIP #3
Students, here is another little study tip to help you make the most of this new school year:
Flash cards – yes, flash cards! When you have all your notes in front of you, open a pack of index cards. As you read through the important facts, rewrite them in Q&A form on the cards. It sounds old school, but it works!
FRIDAY – August 30
INTERNATIONAL BACON DAY - Saturday
Is there anything better than waking up to the smell of bacon? Saturday is the day for that – it’s International Bacon Day!
BRACES FRIENDLY RECIPE
Here’s an easy and unique way to have your egg and avocado for breakfast. And there is a touch of bacon in honor of International Bacon Day on Saturday.
- 1 medium avocado
- 2 eggs
- 1 piece of bacon cooked and crumbled
- 1 tbsp low-fat cheese
- pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Begin by cutting the avocado in half and removing the pit.
- With a spoon, scoop out some of the avocado so it's a tad bigger than your egg and yolk. Place in a muffin pan to keep the avocado stable while cooking.
- Crack your egg and add it to the inside of your avocado. Sprinkle a little cheese on top with a pinch of salt. Top with cooked bacon.
- Cook for 14-16 minutes. Serve warm.