We always have something fun in our office.. Such as contests, prizes, and new smiles! — We invite you to visit our practice and find out what's new this month!
- One TICKET for being on time for appointments
- One TICKET for not having anything loose or broken/bent
- One TICKET for appointment during school hours of 10-2
- One TICKET for satisfactory brushing
- Two TICKETS for excellent brushing
- Five TICKETS for referring a friend!
- Five TICKETS for not having a loose, broken, or bent appliance in a year.
- Five TICKETS for not having any broken or cancelled appointments in one year.
Please pick up your tickets at the front desk on your way out, thank you.
Drawing will take place once a month: five lucky patients will have the opportunity to win a gift card from our prize menu!!
Good luck and happy brushing!!
As we’re all practicing social distancing, remember this … receiving a big SMILE is “almost” as good as a hug!
SMILE WHILE FACETIMING
Don’t forget to use your smiling face when Facetiming with family and friends right now. They want to see you and know you’re fine, but they also need to see that you haven’t lost that beautiful smile on your face and in your heart!
HOMEMADE HAND SANITIZER:
- 3/4 cup of isopropyl or rubbing alcohol (99 percent)
- 1/4 cup of aloe vera gel (to help keep your hands smooth and to counteract the harshness of alcohol)
- 10 drops of essential oil, such as lavender oil, or you can use lemon juice instead.
NATIONAL DOCTORS’ DAY:
MONDAY – March 30
WOW, DO WE APPRECIATE DOCTORS MORE THAN EVER NOW! They are on the front line, fighting for all of us! Shout out to all those doctors in our community that are trying to keep us healthy at this complicated time! Happy National Doctors’ Day!
THANK YOU HEALTHCARE WORKERS
Please share this and give a shout out below to your family and friends who are healthcare heroes! They are putting their lives on the line to keep all of us safe and healthy. We couldn’t be more grateful.
THANK YOU GROCERY STORES
You have all been life-savers! Thank you for being there for all of us. You’re our heroes!
ORTHO HOME CARE
We thought this might be a good time to remind our patients in braces of some common Orthodontic problems & how they can be handled from home:
Loose Band or Bracket Loose Appliances
If the band/bracket is still attached to the wire, leave in place. If uncomfortable, place wax on it. If it comes out completely, wrap bracket/band or appliance in tissue. Call our office to schedule a repair visit. Call even if you have an upcoming appointment since repairs of this nature usually take additional time. Broken appliances will delay treatment time and need to be repaired as soon as possible.
Try to place wire back in place with tweezers or needle nose pliers. If that is not possible, clip the wire with fingernail clippers behind the last tooth to which it is securely fastened. If uncomfortable, place wax on it.
If a wire causes irritation, using a pencil eraser or a Q-tip, push the poking wire down and away from the area, or place wax on it to alleviate the discomfort.
- Step 1 – Ball up a small amount of the wax with your fingers
- Step 2 – Dry off your brace with a paper towel
- Step 3 – Mash the wax against your bracket to make a small comfort mound.
- Replace if necessary and don’t worry if you happen to swallow this, it’s just wax.
INSPIRATION - THANKFUL
We are thankful for all those in our community following the important guidelines to help wipe out the Coronavirus! What are you thankful for?
THURSDAY – April 16
STRESS AWARENESS DAY
No, this Stress Awareness Day was not created just for the Coronavirus, but it is certainly a timely holiday. Stress is really no joking matter, and we are pretty sure that most of us are experiencing more than usual right now. Here are some tips for reducing your stress in 5 minutes or less:
- Deep Breathing: Sit up straight and close your eyes. Slowly inhale through your nose and envision the air you are breathing in as crystal clear and cool. As you slowly exhale, imagine the air going out as dark and hot. Slowly repeat the process until all the dark air has left your body and you are filled with only cool, crystal clear air. Open your eyes and make a fresh start.
- Be Present: Focus only on the single task before you at that very moment. Focus your full attention on the task at hand and put everything else out of your mind. You can only tackle one thing at a time, so there is no sense in focusing on more than that one thing at a time. You will instantly feel less overwhelmed.
- Tune in to Your Body: Close your eyes and imagine all the pores on your body as tightly closed, holding the pressure of stress inside with no means of escape. Now imagine that your pores are slowly opening up, releasing the interior stress, slowly at first but then faster as your pores fully open until, finally, all your stress is released, and you are perfectly balanced inside and outside. Give it a try!
- Listen to Your Thoughts: Pay attention to what you’re saying to yourself. Self-talk like “I’ll never get all this done”, “Nobody appreciates how hard I work” or “This day will never end” only serves to increase stress and anxiety, and most importantly, they are rarely true and serve no useful purpose. Change your self-talk to “I don’t know how I’ll get all this done, but I always do”, “My hard work pays off and my contributions matter” or “I’m looking forward to relaxing tonight”. Often, many of our thoughts are invisible to us, but have a tremendous effect on our stress level, for good or bad. Make your thoughts work for you, not against you.
Get in the habit of being aware of your stress level and make efforts to reduce it whenever you can. It takes practice, but the benefits are worth the effort.
Cooking is a great way to de-stress! So, consider getting the family together to make this fun recipe tonight:
Mighty Tasty Mini Lasagnas
- Marinara sauce
- Ricotta cheese
- Mozzarella cheese
- Parmesan cheese
- won ton wraps (you can find won ton wraps in the produce section in most grocery stores)
- Italian seasoning
- Ground beef/sausage if desired (cook in advance)
- Spray the cupcake pan with Pam & place one won ton wrap in each cup.
- Next layer sauce, meat (if using), cheeses then repeat.
- Sprinkle with Italian seasonings & bake at 375 degrees for 18-20 minutes.
- Let cool for 5 minutes & pop out with a knife.
Depending on your appetites, figure 2-4 cups per person for a hearty dinner.
BRACES FRIENDLY RECIPE
If you had any Girl Scout cookies left in your cabinets or freezer, they are probably long gone since you’ve been spending more time at home. So, here is a great recipe that imitates one of our favorites:
- ¼ cup brown rice syrup (or ¼ cup honey)
- 2 tablespoons blackstrap molasses (or regular molasses)
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 large ripe banana, mashed
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon chocolate extract
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons Egg Replacer
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- 2/3 cup marshmallows, loosely packed, cut in half or into quarters
- Preheat your oven to 350. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, thoroughly combine your dry ingredients. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, beat together the mashed banana with the coconut oil. Add the brown rice syrup, maple syrup, molasses, and chocolate extract. Stir until combined.
- Make a “well” in the middle of your dry ingredients and pour the wet ingredients in. Mix until just combined. Add the chocolate chips and marshmallows and mix until they are evenly distributed (with not too many big clumps of marshmallows).
- Using a tablespoon, scoop the dough in heaping spoonfuls (including at least 1 marshmallow bit in each scoop), and drop onto the prepared baking sheets. Use the bottom of a measuring cup or glass to slightly press each cookie into a thick flat disk.
- Bake the cookies for about 8-9 minutes, until firm, but still soft. Remove from oven and let them cool on the baking sheet for about 3 minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack to let them cool completely. Enjoy!